Our days continue here in Nanning. Today we visited the local zoo. It was interesting as all of the animals are from south China. So now when we go to the zoos in the U.S., we can relate to where these animals are from. We saw a tiger show, they appeared to be some very frisky tigers and the heat index was 100 degrees, so I can imagine that they are a bit moody. I know I was--as was Katie!
We also watched the seal and dolphin show. We seemed to be as much of a spectacle as the dolphins themselves. We were by far the only white people there. Some people would smile at the babies. One little girl even came up to one of the mom's and asked if she could have her picture taken with her, of course, she was very willing. I would by lying if I said that we were completely comfortable there.
It was amazing how close we could get to the animals. You could, if you were stupid, literally reach your arm out and touch the cages of tigers!!!! I've never been so close so wild animals!
Katie has latched on to me and will not let Daniel hold her anywhere but in the hotel. I'm not sure what's up with that but she just screams! It's hard to know at this stage how much to let her get away with. She has had so many changes this week and has been incredibly stressed. Learning to trust us has got to be overwhelming for her. Finally we are getting some smiles out of her and an occasional laugh. One of the other families little girls is having a really hard time, she is very afraid of strangers, they even opted to stay at the hotel today. I know it's been rough on them. The other two little girls are definitely more attached to their mommy's as well. Daniel seems to be ok with it, I offered to leave the room for a little while so he could have some time with Katie by himself and he told me that they would both be in tears if I did that!
Katie sleeps very well. She still isn't eating super great. At the orphanage she was only getting bottles of formula with rice cereal added. I have tried many times to get her to eat rice cereal or applesauce and she seems to not know what to do with the food once it's in her mouth. I don't believe she's ever been fed with a spoon. She did eat a couple of tiny bites of Daniel's banana bread this morning at breakfast.
Crawling doesn't seem to be in her future either. Sam never crawled, he just scooted and then started walking. I have a feeling we're headed down the same path. She doesn' t like to be on the floor at all. I had her on the bed with me this afternoon and she was using me as a jungle gym, it was the most active she's been and she seemed to love it. She figured out she could stand up while holding onto my hands. We could see the excitement on her face when she realized what she had done. She's definitely progressing developmentally already. It's amazing what a lot of love and attention can do for a child who has not had what she's needed.
Katie and Daniel are both sleeping. We're meeting the rest of our group in a little while for dinner. Along with our guide who is going to help us order some foods that aren't pigeon or dog (did I mention they do eat the latter here?) I hope that we haven't had any!
I'll attach some photos of our day.
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment